Every Case Is Different.
This Piece Only Applies To Pennsylvania.
- Find your car insurance DECLARATION Page. This Declaration lists the insurance coverage that you requested and that you are entitled to. You can change this at any time.
- Your car or cars will be listed near the top of the page. Having more than one car affects your coverage.
- The first entry with numbers in it usually says BODILY INJURY.
- FOR EXAMPLE, Bodily Injury 15,000/30,000
- What Does this Mean?
- It means that you have $15,000 to pay for someone’s injuries if you hit them with your car.
- What does the 15,000/30,000 mean?
- 15,000/30,000 means that you have $15,000 in coverage if you hit a car with only one person in the car being hurt.
- If there are more people in the car that you hit, the total available insurance for their injuries is $30,000.
- Why $15,000?
- That is the State Minimum Insurance in Pennsylvania.
- That allows you or anyone to drive a car legally.
- The next entry is usually something like MEDICAL COVERAGE.
- This is medical coverage for YOU if YOU are injured in a crash.
- Sometimes, it may also apply to someone you hit if they don’t have a car.
- Lawyers and Insurers call this PIP for Personal Injury Protection.
- PIP or medical coverage will act in place of your health insurance for accident related injuries.