Suing the City of Philadelphia

The City of Philadelphia has a duty to keep its streets, sidewalks and parks safe for its citizens. If a dangerous condition — such as potholes, an open manhole, or uneven sidewalk — caused you to suffer an injury, the City is responsible, among others..

If you were injured due to a negligent condition on Philadelphia streets, in city-owned buildings, or in a motor vehicle accident with a government employee, such as a police officer, you can hold the city liable for your injuries.

Injured people may sue the City of Philadelphia for injuries it caused. However, many special rules and regulations apply. Most important is the condensed timeline allowed for bringing a claim. If you were injured due to the negligence of the city or a government agency, you only have six months to file a notice of your claim. If you fail to notify the City or Commonwealth of your claim, you can be barred from ever filing a lawsuit. There are a number of other requirements that you must follow that only an experienced attorney can help you understand. I regularly represent injured people in slip and fall cases against the City of Philadelphia and against City employees whose negligence causes injury.

Due to the complex nature of physical injuries, what seemed like a minor injury at the time the accident occurred may evolve into a serious, and even permanent, injury. If the evolution of your injury took longer than six months, you may no longer be able to recover compensation.

That is why it is imperative to contact an experienced personal injury lawyer who understands the evolution of physical injuries, and has experience holding the government liable for those injuries.